Sunday 7 August 2016

I'm still hanging in there with Ulysses

Yes, I am still reading Ulysses.

It really is like no other book I've ever read. It's like reading a poem, and you don't know what half the words mean. For instance, in Chapter 3, which my book calls episode 3, in the course of a couple of pages, Joyce uses, among other obscurities, the following:
   Italian: O si, certo!
   Hindu: mahamanvantara.
   Shakespeare: Ay, very like a whale.
   French: Qui vous a mis dans cette fichue position?
   German: schluss
   Bible: fleshpots of Egypt
On the next page he's back to Latin.

I'm yet to meet the main character, Leopold Bloom, so I hope he makes an appearance soon. I've actually snuck a look at the next chapter, and he's in it.

I'd be totally lost without the notes. I have to read a page of the notes, sometimes two pages, before I read a page of the novel.

I don't feel like the plot has caught my curiosity yet. All I know is that Stephen is headed to the pub at 12 to meet Buck.

So far I'm just pleased that I didn't give up after the first chapter. I told dad tonight that I'd started it. He was impressed. That's something at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment